Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sea-shore again (25th June)

I had been to the sea-shore again last evening. I watched as the last rays of the setting sun disappeared off the water and stars made their appearance in the skies. The sea was neither rough nor calm – but it appeared like a playful child as its waves lapped the sea shore, breaking into a pearly white froth with a crisp sound as they touched the still warm sand.

And I stood there thinking about the Carpathia, Mary Celeste and thousands like her who met their watery graves in the seas and oceans all around the world –sometimes along with their passengers and crew. Death’s never a pleasant affair – even if you believe in re-incarnations. I remember falling into the river while attempting rafting for the 1st and possibly last time somewhere in Pennsylvania. And I didn’t like it one bit. Died a thousand deaths before friends pulled me back to the safety of the boat. The oceans all over the world must have witnessed so much of pain and suffering.

Its difficult to express exactly what I felt as I stood there watching the waves – a mixture of awe, sadness and grief. A story read somewhere came to mind – a story of 7 waves who were sisters. They always wanted to visit the shores but their parents being parents didn’t want to let them out of sight. Finally, a solution was found. The 7th sister to visit the shore will go back to meet the parents living at the bottom of the sea. From that time onwards, it’s said that the 7th wave to hit the shores will carry anything thrown in it to the bottom of the sea.

I thought of the small collection of beautiful shells that I have back at home. I decided that next time I come to the shore I will get one of them and throw it in the 7th wave -my way of paying homage to all those resting there forever.

No comments: