Sunday, December 23, 2012

Currently, while reading Agatha Christie's 'Taken At The Flood', I came across some unfamiliar terms.

While describing a leading character's eyes, she uses a phrase - put in with a smutty finger. I had no idea what she meant by that so I searched the net. Here's what I found - http://syds-thoughts.blogspot.in/2008/07/turns-of-phrase-that-dont-mean-what.html

In another scene, while offering a drink to someone one character says 'say when' to which the other replies 'when'. I was so confused by this that, for a moment, I thought there was some typo here.The internet came to the rescue, as usual. Here is the explanation.

The third reference has been to something called a 'pierrot doll'. The first link shown by the search engine had such creepy images that I didn't have the heart to search further.

I am almost halfway through the novel and curious to know what other new phrases and idioms I will come across.

No comments: