Sunday, December 23, 2012

Mah Jong, Khar (W)

This eating place at Khar (W) has been a favorite for lazy weekend lunches. But we hadn't been there for quite some time. Lately, I have been rather bored with the run-of-the-mill Chinese fare like Chow Mein, Schezwan Fried Rice, Manchurian and Spring Rolls. So when we landed at Mah Jong today morning, we decided to try some new dishes.

The first dish was, of course, Crispy Prawns in butter garlic sauce. Now, I am not fond of sea food (except for good old pomfret) because most of the times it smells 'fishy'. And the sight of King Prawns, for some inexplicable reason, turns me off completely. But this dish was so scrumptious that I didn't even realize when I polished my portion off my plate. You bet I am going to order it every time I visit this place.

I remembered that last time we were here, we had ordered some chicken dish which had crispy shredded chicken. We looked through the menu and ordered 'Shredded chicken in home style sauce'. When the waiter turned up with the dish, we realized that we had ordered something else. Luckily for us though, the dish was tasty as well - though very lightly seasoned.

We racked our collective brains over the dish that we had missed out on. Combing through our menu, I came across Crispy Chicken with Honey Chili. Aha! This must be it. We placed the order and Bingo! We were bang on the spot! Shreds of crispy chicken, pleasurably chewy - perfectly seasoned in a tangy-sweet-spicy sauce. Heaven on earth!

The clay pot chicken rice was a bit of a disappointment though. Though it had chicken, mushrooms and the creamy sauce, it lacked the capsicum strips that are part of the same dish served at Chandragupta (Shivaji Park). And it should have been a bit more spiced.

I am already looking forward to my next visit to Mah Jong :-)

No comments: