Saturday, August 18, 2007

Ruskin Bond's Green Book (4th August)

Recently I read Ruskin Bond's Green Book. Almost at the beginning there is a lovely poem called "Trees" by Alfred Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robbins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snows has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain;

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

This book is a collection of stories by different authors including Bond himself. In one of the stories, it is mistakenly mentioned that the secred tree of the hindus is Peepal whereas it actually is the Banyan tree. Then there is a very beautiful story about why animals have come to fear mankind. I especially loved the story about tippity - the flyinf squirrel. I have always found Elephant fascinating - and just love the baby elephants running along side their parents :-) Long Live Natgeo and Animal Planet!! This book contains an article that says that when the elephants know that their end is very near they go deep into the forest to the Elephants' Graveyard!

I dont know what kind of animal a ratel is - must search on the net. But one of the stories does mention that this animal is very fond of playing by itself. The writer of the article has mentioned how he came about one playing by itself in the moonlight! I almost envied the writer for this rare experience :-(

Then there is a story of the flute player which reminded me of another book called The secret garden that I had read years back - a very simple innocent world of children which sadly has become the land "where no man has gone before" for today's children.

I am of the generation which knows Maneka Gandhi as the wife of late Sanjay Gandhi and as a lady who raises hell when stray dogs are killed. :-) But she writes and writes well. This book contains a very touching story of a sparrow called "numm numm" :-)

All in all a very delightful book for people who love animals, nature and forests :-) Dont I sound just like a critic?? ;-))

No comments: