Saturday, August 18, 2007

A child amongst you is taking notes!! (22nd May)

I had been to the sea-shore the other evening. A crowd of people had gathered near one of the buildings. Soon a fire engine rushed over. I was puzzled – couldn’t see any smoke. There can be smoke without fire. Can there be fire without smoke? But it seems there was neither fire nor smoke. A bird had got itself entangled in a tree branch and someone had informed the fire brigade. After struggling for 10 minutes or so the bird was set free. As it soared back into the evening sky a bunch of kids keenly observing the whole process clapped with gusto. I wanted to clap too – but I didn’t.

Scene 2 – I am struggling over the menu at the coffee shop – don’t they have anything without cream or ice-cream? A tiny kid walks in with his mother in tow – a boy. As he passes me he looks at me – his chubby finger lightly tapping the surface of the table as he moves past. When I zero in on what I think is the lowest calorie drink on the menu I look up and see the kid sitting with his mother at the far end of the café. His mother is busy scanning the menu and I see him watching everyone in the café with frank curiosity. He looks at the couple sitting by the window. He looks at the group of college girls who are busy paying each other off after settling the bill. He looks at the executive who is typing busily into his laptop. And I wonder if I looked at anyone of them as I walked into the café. Of course I threw the occupants a cursory glance to gauge if there was a vacant seat but beyond that it is always – oh, how can you stare at people like that? But the kid has that luxury.

Food arrives for him and for me. I am careful as I swirl the liquid with the spoon, he is happy making as much noise as possible by banging spoon against the saucer. I am careful to wipe my lips as I tuck into the sandwich. His mouth is splattered with bits of chocolate cake. I say to myself this sandwich is heavenly, he shows his appreciation for the food by lip-smacking.

I suddenly keep my spoon down – I feel so jealous that I know it’s absurd! :-)) I envy the kid for the luxury to let himself go – a luxury I can no longer afford. I suddenly look back at all the birthdays gone with sadness. Have I lost the opportunity forever?

And then the Eureka moment strikes. I remember the scene at the sea-shore building. I haven’t lost the opportunity yet – I say to myself – no one ever does. I have simply stopped noticing when the appropriate opportunity presents itself!!

I am not going to let it slip by unnoticed next time – I decide and then an odd quote from Bible comes to my mind “A child amongst you is taking notes”. It doesn’t hurt to take notes from a child sometimes, does it?

No comments: