Monday, August 8, 2011

At first, the world was simple - there were vegetarians and then there were non-vegetarians. Slowly but steadily, more categories got added like eggetarians, fruitarians, vegans etc. Lately, however, I have realized that there must be sub-categories in the non-vegetarian category because I believe (and obviously hope!) that I am not the only one who considers only chicken and eggs as part of her non-vegetarian diet. And if that is the case, there must be people who eat only sea-food or who eat only white meat and so on and so forth.

I realized this even more sharply as I sat watching Nigella Lawson's new show 'Nigella Kitchen'. There she was, calmly pointing out the marrow in some piece of beef and explaining how it makes the meat more delicious. She quoted a saying too - something like 'The closer the meat is to the bones, the sweeter it is". I know of people who would positively faint if they hear such a statement, but to be honest, I wasn't too excited about this whole marrow-in-the-bone business either.

Well, as the saying goes, it takes all kinds to make this world!

No comments: