Friday, April 1, 2016

These days I often find myself wondering where should one turn to for a no-nonsense unbiased coverage of what's really happening in the world. The other day I tuned into CNN half-dreading to hear another Trump Vs. Clinton Vs. Cruz discussion. They were, however, covering the terrorist shooting that took place in a public area of Lahore. The anchorwoman was talking about 21-year old newlyweds who had perished in the blast just four months after getting married. The camera was focussed on the groom's mom who was besides herself with grief that I cannot even begin to imagine. But a few moments later I felt really uneasy. Though her grief must be genuine, I began suspecting that much of the theatrics - the waiving of hands and use of superlative statements like 'my lion of a son' - were more for the benefit of the camera. It is blasphemous to even think that a mother can resort to such things but I just could not help but think that way - hence my unease.

The television has brought crime and terrorism from all corners of the world right into our living rooms. They have to cover what's happening, I get it. But shouldn't we be drawing a line somewhere?

No comments: