Friday, April 1, 2016

Superman Vs. Batman

My mind was made up even before I stepped out of the house. No matter what made these 2 superheroes stand against each other, I was going to root for Superman. He has been my only favorite superhero - primarily because I was a super-fan of the late Christopher Reeve. Also because I don't much care for people who hide behind silly masks. That said, I have always wondered how people have been unable to figure out that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person - surely a pair of spectacles isn't sufficient to disguise one's true identity. Though I don't care much for Batman, I liked Val Kilmer and Christian Bale. George Clooney, in my humble opinion, was a total misfit for the role - he looked as if he has wandered off some other movie set by mistake :-)

Okay, so now about the movie. Firstly, there was not much 3D stuff in the movie so I wondered why they released the 3D version of it. Then they have turned the whole superman story on its head. I think the world knew about Superman much much before General Zod made his appearance on earth. Why change the story line now? There was no need to show Batman's background, I am sure most of the audience knows it. On top of it, they did Superman an injustice because there was not a word about his background. Come on, you cannot be partial :-) To be very frank, the whole Superman Vs. Batman battle seemed totally contrived. I nearly fell off the chair laughing when Lex Luther kidnapped Superman's mom so he could make him fight Batman - the whole scene seemed straight out of a Hindi movie script. Like a Hindi movie leading lady, Lois's role was limited to getting herself in the wrong place at the wrong time so the Man Of Steel could come and rescue the damsel in distress at the drop of a hat. How masochistic! I clearly expected better of Hollywood movies. And can someone please explain to me why they didn't simply resurrect Zod instead of bringing that computer generated monstrosity to make both the superheroes get together to fight? That Superwoman seemed as unnecessary as a raincoat in the SubSaharan region. :-(

As far as the cast goes, the new Superman isn't nearly as cute as Reeve but he will do - I loved those eyes (x-ray vision or not!) and that dimpled chin. I wasn't too thrilled about watching Ben Affleck as Batman - seemed like someone in the casting department wanted to play the 1st April prank in March itself. But not a bad job at all. Having said that, I hated him every time he punched Superman and practically winced my way through the whole fight. Lex Luther acted as if he has watched too many Shahrukh Khan movies. Seriously, in few shots, I wondered if I am watching Shahrukh instead. Can someone please bring back Kevin Spacey? Lois definitely looked older than Superman. And that last scene in which she sits with the supposedly-dead Superman in her lap, I almost expected her to cry out 'For heaven's sake, open your eyes Clark' :-)

No one will buy the 'Superman Is Dead' trick for sure but I am not looking forward to the sequel - especially because Batman has proposed building an army of superheroes. Does that mean Spiderman will make an appearance as well? If so, I am going to give it a miss - even Superman (and his dimpled chin!) won't be able to drag me to the movie.

No comments: