Sunday, March 27, 2016

Anupama (Spoiler Alert!)

Every time I saw one of the songs, I would remember that I want to see this movie. But there were mainly 2 reasons why I hadn't been able to do so over the years. First and foremost, the channel that plays this movie often (B&W) doesn't list out the names of the movies in the TV guide, so I would often chance upon the movie a good half an hour or so after it started. The second reason is that I am not fond of movies that require you to keep the box of tissues handy. And from what I had heard about this one, it is a sure candidate for that type.

But a few weeks back I again landed on the B&W channel when the movie was already going on. The scene looked a pretty normal one with the hero Dharmendra just arriving at a hill station with his mom and sister in tow (I wonder why the hero always has to have a sister and a widow mom!). I just love the hill stations shown in the movies of the 60s and 70s so I decided to hang on for a few minutes, one finger on the remote, ready to bolt at the first sign of an impending emotional drama. That moment almost never came. I watched the movie right till its very end and loved it :-)

Okay, to be frank, I guess most of the drama was over by the time I had tuned in. This story is about a woman called Uma whose mom passes away after bringing her into this world. Her dad, fond as he is of his wife, holds the daughter responsible for her death and doesn't pay any attention to her. Uma never lacks for anything except for her dad's love. But this takes a heavy emotional toll on her - she becomes a lonely, introvert woman who doesn't talk to strangers. The rest of the movie is about what happens to her when she meets the hero. :-)

The casting is perfect. Hero Dharmendra, though poor, comes across as the perfect husband material. A guy you would love to take home to mama, secure in the knowledge that she would approve of him wholeheartedly. When it comes to the leading lady, honestly, Sharmila Tagore, did get on my nerves more than a couple of times. Frankly, I think she overdid the character a bit. At times I wanted to shake her up and shout 'Say something lady' :-) Shashikala, cast as her friend Anita, sounded a little too bubbly at times for my taste but I was thankful that she wasn't competing with Sharmila for Dharmendra's love. That song 'Ya dil ki suno' had given me wrong ideas about the plot all these years :-) Durga Khote was of course every woman's dream-come-true mom-in-law. I just loved her in that scene in which she goes to dine with Sharmila upon learning that Sharmila won't sit with others to eat. भगवान ऐसी सांस सबको दे. :-) Oh, and did someone forget to tell Tarun Bose that he wasn't supposed to play run-of-the-mill villain? Anyone watching the scene where he comes to pick Sharmila up from Dharmendra's place could be forgiven for thinking that he is kidnapping her to hold her as a hostage :-)

The songs are, of course, all melodious. कुछ दिल ने कहा is one of my all-time favorite ones. The chirping of the birds when the song begins transports you to straight to a valley full of birds and fresh air. भीगी भीगी फिझा makes me wonder about the bygone era when people could spend time in such a leisurely fashion. Every time I watch this song, I feel as if I have just been on a picnic. :-) या दिल की सुनो दुनियावालो is a sad song but it has never filled me with sadness. The music has always had a calming effect on me. I wonder how the singers, composers and music directors of the Golden Era used to manage this. This is a song sung in a party but Shashikala dims the lights just before the song starts and the effect is marvelous.

I would like to watch this movie once again sometime in future for sure :-)

No comments: