Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Rose Garden, Chandigarh

The first three tourists stops were, of course, the Rock Garden, Sukhana Lake and the Rose Garden. But for the reasons best known to him (and perhaps God!), the driver of our hotel car was very reluctant to take us to the Rose Garden. ‘You will need at least an hour in the rock garden. What is there to see in the rose garden?’ that was his reasoning. Looked like he had never been to Mumbai where the only roses that you ever get to see are on the plants that grow in your balcony – if you have the time, energy and enthusiasm to cater to them. “That’s okay. We want to see the Rose Garden” we said firmly and he turned back from the road that was going to take us to the rock garden.






Okay, I am not sure what size I had in mind when I read that practically every sector in the city has a garden to boast of. But it hadn’t been certainly this big. The garden was huge, I mean huge. One look at it and I realized that we won’t be able to cover it fully during whatever time we had on our hands. For anyone who has grown up in a crowded metro, the sheer idea that so much of city space can be used for a garden is simply overwhelming. Wiki tells me that this garden, named after the former president Zakir Husain, is Asia’s largest and was constructed in 1967.






I felt like a kid in a candy store. Roses of practically every hue were in full bloom. I worried that I will run out of space on my digicam and phone right at this first spot. The air was crisp with a hint of bite, the birds twittered, the blue sky was full of fluffy white clouds and the most important thing was that I had the time and luxury to enjoy all of this. I was glad I had prevailed upon the driver to get us here.





Note to future visitors - When you find yourself in this garden, it is possible to feel compelled to just click away. But do take some moments to sit on a bench under the lush green canopy of creepers. Watch the squirrels dart in and out of the foliage as they play. Listen to the sound of falling water and watch the dance of the water droplets near the fountain. ‘Smell the roses’ – literally and figuratively. And then count your blessings. Drop me a line if you don’t feel energized and refreshed. And please, DO NOT LITTER.

No comments: