Friday, March 13, 2015

Palatan Bazaar, Dehradun






I must confess that I had already lost considerable part of my shopping enthusiasm by the time we pulled into this market. But the hustle and bustle of the place lifted my spirits. A person selling wind chimes and a stall selling chunky necklaces and ear-rings looked like a promising start to a great shopping experience. but sadly up ahead the market looked like any other market for locals in a city. I wanted to check out the famous Dehradun Basmati rice but could find only one shop that had stacked it along with other grocery items like juices and biscuits. The rice looked (and smelled!) no different than the one found in Mumbai kirana stores. The jewellery that was displayed by the few street vendors also looked remarkably similar to the one that can be found on Mumbai's Linking Road. There were a lot of stalls for T-shirts, socks and other types of clothes. The market stretched up ahead but I saw no point in going further.

I turned back without buying a single thing :-(

No comments: