Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Sindhi Sweets

‘Waiting Hai....rukana padegaa’ we were perplexed when the usher at the entrance of this famous eatery told us that we will have to wait. We were starving after the tiny meal served on board the flight. Alarmed, we asked him how long it will take. ’10-15 minutes to lagenge....kuchh bol nahi sakata’ – it will take 10-15 minutes but I cannot say for sure. We were too tired to go someplace else so we sat on the benches laid out in the front. Mercifully, he beckoned us to go inside in 10 minutes or so.

Inside, the place was more packed than the tin of sardines. We found a table and quickly set about scanning the menu. A thali would have sounded nice at any other time of the day but I didn’t want to burden my digestive system after 9pm. So we decided to ask for chhole-bhature. But even when we did that I was wondering what the diameter of the bhaturas would be. I got my answer when it was served. They weren’t giant but they weren’t tiny either. I didn’t waste too much time pondering over it as I tore off big chunks of the bhatura and dipped them into either the steaming potato sabji or chhole gravy.

Chhole Bhature

Now for the verdict – both the potato sabji and chhole gravy could have done with more salt and chilli. The bhaturas could have packed in some more salt as well. But the overall combination worked for me. In addition to the usual cucumber and carrot pieces the dish also contained radish pieces and to my intense surprise, I devoured them without a murmur. The pickle at the table had the right proportion of sweet, spicy and tangy. I must have polished the whole dish off within minutes.

For dessert, we ended up ordering Gulabjamuns and rice kheer. The jamuns were the very best that I have had occassion to savor so far. The kheer was creamy and tasty but had too much of coconut for my taste.

Rice Kheer
At just Rs. 400 the dinner was easy on the wallet as well.

The eatery boasts of Chinese food on its menu but judging by the amount of noodles and gravy left over in the plates at empty tables that I noticed on my way out, the chefs need to get their act together on that front.

There was a separate section to buy sweets. The usual suspects like besan ladoo, badami halwa, roshogullas and assorted Bengali sweets were all there. I bought Dhodha barfi and asked the person waiting at the counter what Panjiri laddoos are made of. ‘Panjiri’ he said, puzzled. When I asked him what Panjiri was made up of he looked even more perplexed so I asked him to let me taste a bit of it. It tasted nice so I bought that as well.

After that it was back to the hotel and a relaxing sleep. Tomorrow was going to be one busy day.

No comments: