Sunday, November 9, 2014

Supernatual - Season 10

Though it seemed like season 9 had ended centuries ago, I hadn't forgotten that Dean had turned a demon by the end of it. And I had mixed feelings about the same. Sure, it was going to be painful to watch Dean turn into the very same thing that he did everything in his power to eliminate. But I was also curious about how the creators of the series were going to handle this change to his personality.

Must say that AXN did a very good job of spoiling the fun. First of all, I didn't know when the the new season was going to start. I was flipping through the TV guide on one Wednesday night and saw that the show was on at 11:30pm. What? Is this the first episode? If not, when did the show start? And which channel telecasts a new season of a series at 11:30 at night on a weekday? I had no choice but to watch. The episode began with a summary of the last season and I heaved a mighty sigh of relief. Okay, this is the first episode. I watched it with great expectations but was slightly disappointed by the time it ended. Somehow, it didn't quite measure upto the season finale of season 9.

Relax, I told myself, this is just the first episode. Little did I know that I would not get to watch the 2nd one. What happened was this. The TV guide showed that there was another telecast of the show on Saturday (10pm) and Sunday (5pm). I did check it out for few minutes on Saturday night, mistook the last episode's snippets for the repeat telecast of the last episode and changed the channel. I never bothered to check it out on Sunday. And gave the show a miss on next Wednesday thinking I will watch the repeat telecast on the following Saturday. What I completely missed out on was the fact that the new episodes are, in fact, telecast on Saturday 10pm.

So when I tuned in the following Saturday I thought I was watching the repeat telecast of episode #2 whereas actually it was episode #3. Needless to say, I was completely at sea. Couldn't figure out how Sam found Dean and how he knew how to cure him. I watched the episode anyways and afterwards found out on the net that I had missed the second episode.

Okay, enough complaining about one missed episode. Back to the latest season and associated disappointment. I still cannot stomach the fact that Dean has been cured in the first few episodes of this season. What happened? It was such a nice twist and had so many possibilities, which, alas, have been forever squandered away. I do have a lurking suspicion that he is not completely cured yet but I guess that comes from watching bits and pieces of Hindi daily soaps where characters who appear good are in reality evil and the ones who are evil are so holy that they can anyday give any saint a run for his money. Oh, and you cannot ignore the fact that Dean didn't flinch when holy water was flung at him. Unless, of course, he had managed to replace it with tap water without Sam noticing it. :-)

Good to see Castiel getting back to his old self though. I wasn't too fond of his sick look. As for the 3rd episode, vampires and werewolves have been an old story for such a long time now that I wondered if the writers of the series used them as a stopgap arrangement while they figure out how to take the show forward.

Here's hoping that one of my favorite shows finds it old rhythm back and soon!

No comments: