Sunday, November 9, 2014

Cheval, Kala Ghoda

It's a strange name. Sounds rather French and I still don't know its meaning. But we wanted to try out a different place. Not Irish House, Not Bombay Blue, Not Copper Chimney and certainly no Chinese food. The place promising to provide Gourmet Italian food had 'Coming Soon' tacked on the board. And we were not in the mood to have a Thali that seemed to be the only thing on menu in Chetana. It's Cheval then.

The place has a quaint look. The cracked, paint peeling off the wall sort of air that is so in-thing these days. I absolutely don't mind it. The high ceiling gives you the feeling that you are sitting in some long-forgotten British Raj club from the pre-independence era. I don't mind that either. I could sit here for hours.


The menu boasted of quite a lot of new dishes. But as a rule, I try a mix of new and known things at a new place. That way you get to sample something that you have never tried before and also can gauge how they measure up to making some of the dishes that you have probably been eating for years. So our order consisted of Black Truffle Gnocchi (Rs. 550) and Funghi Pizza with an add-on of chicken (Rs. 550).

The food was served in reasonable time. First it was the Gnocchi. My heart sank when I saw the quantity. This sure must be gourmet! Should I have ordered two servings? I wondered as I ate the first mouthful. Soft, creamy and tasty. It can easily make you forget the world. The pizza was served as I was savoring the Gnocchi. And it was equally tasty. My main worry was that the chicken shouldn't be as if it has been added as an afterthought. It blended in just fine. There was a tad too much cheese for my taste but I didn't complain as it added to the taste.

If I have to apply my recent knowledge of Spanish, I have only to say this - La comida es deliciosa! And Hasta La Vista - I am going to be back for more, for sure!

No comments: