Sunday, April 7, 2013

Lunch at Faaso's

I wouldn't have ordered it otherwise because I usually avoid ordering food from outside on the weekdays. But I had been out over the weekend and so hadn't found time to prepare lunch for Monday. Another colleague who had come without her tiffin suggested we order from Faaso's. The only other option was Dosa or Uthappa at the office canteen (I wouldn't touch their non-vegetarian fare even with a bargepole!) so I agreed. Going through the menu was a tough task, especially because I wanted avoid having meat. No such luck though. The options on the veggie menu boasted of either paneer or potatoes. No way! So, reluctantly, I turned to the non-veg section. And my colleague and I started debating the choices.

Overhearing this, another colleague strolled over and suggested we go for chicken with Indian spices. I had visions of chicken pieces smothered under layers of onions, chillies and garam masala. And that almost killed my appetite. Barbeque chicken looked promising and I zeroed in on that. I decided to go for wheat chapati instead of the normal maida roll at the suggestion of the same colleague.

Turned out that was the only smart thing that I did. When the lunch arrived - after almost an hour (the delivery guy claimed that he had jumped a signal and was pulled over by a cop!) - the fare was far from being value for money. The barbecue sauce tasted like a mixture of soya sauce and tomato puree (a lot of puree!). The chicken pieces were rather rubbery. And the onions made a guest appearance rather than complimenting the dish. I am confident that I would have done a much better job of making this dish at home.

My colleague didn't have much luck with the Biryani that she had ordered as well. To be frank, the Biryani looked as if it was a mixture of some chicken gravy and plain white rice. I didn't dare taste it.

I have been brought up with the teaching that you should never say bad things about food. But I have little patience with food joints that charge a steep price but fail to deliver quality food.

I tried to console myself thinking that maybe the food was healthy and hence tasteless. :-(

No comments: