Sunday, April 7, 2013

In my opinion, advertizements are best seen with the TV muted out. But some ads like the Gold Star cookies one makes me want to reach out for the remote and turn the TV off. Amitabh Bachhan plays a guy who behaves in a very patronizing manner with his servant who has served him cookies that are different from the ones that are normally served. When he asks 'अच्छा तो आप सोचते भी है?', I feel like screaming in exasperation. I suspect that there is no dearth of people who treat their domestic help like bonded laborers. We don't need Mr. Bachchan to encourage this trend. This is one jar of cookies I am not going to have on the table!

On the other end of the spectrum, the Frooti ad comes as a breath of fresh air - especially in this hot, humid weather of Mumbai. It features Shahrukh Khan guzzling the entire bottle in one fell swoop while a group of very thirsty players watch him enviously like a pack of kids. My favorite is the kid who claps and makes fun of the players at the end of the ad.

Oh, and the adorable ZooZoos are back with the latest season of the IPL. I have seen only two of their ads so far. Hats off to the creative brains behind these!

No comments: