Friday, April 12, 2013

I wasn't surprised to read about the management shuffle at Maruti's Manesar plant. Given the labor unrest that happened there last year, it was just a matter of time.But I was surprised when I read the following quote by someone familiar with the matter.

In Japan, there has not been any strike in the last 58 years. The idea behind bringing these Japanese officials is to align the HR processes followed in Japan with that of India.

I happen to remember from a long-forgotten culture sensitivity class in the B school that in Japan authority is respected and rarely questioned. In India, that used to be the case a few years, no, decades back - when people used to spend their entire career at one company. I rather doubt that's the scene these days.

How prudent is it then for Suzuki to align the HR practices in their home country to those that should be rolled out in India?

No comments: