Monday, July 11, 2011

Elevator Rudeness

I generally don't use elevators but I was a little bit under the weather that day. Plus I was carrying some stuff from the market. The elevator as usual was racing upwards to touch its goal of the highest floor. I had no other option to wait patiently. It was rather hot so I decided to turn on the fan.

Soon enough another woman with her daughter in tow joined the queue which so far had consisted of only poor me. As the elevator neared the ground floor I stepped out to turn the fan off. As I stepped out the woman took my place in the queue and her daughter followed her example. I was aghast when I returned back and glared at them both.

I would like to believe that the woman must have felt quite silly when she saw me come back though it is highly unlikely that she had assumed I was gonna take the stairs when the elevator was on its way down. She was distinctly uncomfortable though as she stood very close to the elevator doors muttering to herself about its slow speed. How I wished a crowd would step out of it and glare at her for bumping into them!

No such luck though, the elevator was empty when its doors opened. The woman walked in followed by her daughter. I walked in last. I had to muster every ounce of energy to prevent myself from muttering 'mannerless' as I passed her when I stepped out on my floor. I did, however, manage to glare once again.

I have always wondered why people are so prompt in jumping the queue in this country. The so-called sophisticated ones are the worst when you would think that they should know better.

I was mightily miffed about this even after reaching home. Then an idea struck me. Next time someone does this to me, I am going to fish my mobile out before stepping out of the elevator, make sure it is on silent mode and then say "Hey, I just remembered about that survey you are doing on 'elevator rudeness'. I just had an amazing experience....." :-)

Have any more ideas on curbing this menace without ourselves being rude? Let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you suggest would be passive aggression. If you really do not wish to be rude, be direct and say 'I apologize, but I was not really leaving the queue. Would you be kind enough to allow me to get back to my place in the queue.'

Having addressed it thus, the ball is in their court explicitly. Then it would take a real gall for the offender to not allow you in. If that happens, go ahead and make that pretend phone call.

And IMHO, glaring is equally rude.

Swapnagandha Hawaldar said...

What you said makes sense. I will try that next time. :-)