Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"And you will have to send the package by Speed Post" said my CA.
"Speed Post? You mean courier, don't you?" I asked hopefully.

"I mean Speed Post. You will have to go to the post office for that." I think I detected a bit of pity in his voice. He might have rolled his eyes but since we were talking on phone I couldn't see that.

"But it has been ages since I have gone to a post office" this was my weak attempt at protest.
There was no answer to that.

"Okay, I will see what I can do. I will let you know" I said meekly and hung up.

At first, I couldn't think of any post office in the vicinity of my place. Then some memory stirred - of sending a package for a friend eons ago. Do they close post offices if there isn't much of a traffic? I was not sure and so decided to check it out the next day.

But a full week passed before I could do that.

I told the driver which road to take. 'I have to go to a post office there' I added in the same breath.
"Post office?' this was a new destination for him as well, it seems.
"yes"
"Is it on the left or right side of the road?"
"On the left"

5 minutes later I asked him to park the car at a spot where, I believed, no one would angrily honk even if he waited for 15 minutes.

I started walking towards the old location of the post office. The building came into sight but looked so old that I suspected for a minute that it was closed for business. A few seconds later, I found that my fears were baseless. I could detect human beings inside so I ventured in.

There weren't any customers there, only staff and no one showed any sign of seeing me. All the employees had taken utmost care to stay as far away from the windows as they could. After staring helplessly around for 2-3 minutes, I located a person within shouting distance of a window. So I addressed him.

"Do you have Speed Post facility?" I had seen the poster outside but couldn't think of any other question.
"Yes, but we will not be able to do it today as some work is going on" I didn't have the heart to ask exactly what this work was.

So I asked "Is it only for today?"
"Yes, today morning."

"So I can get it done if I come in the afternoon?"
"Yes"
"What time?"

He wasn't sure. He turned to someone and asked. But that person wasn't interested in answering. The man turned back to me with a sheepish grin.

"It's okay. You are sure I can get it done tomorrow?"
"Oh yes"
"What time does this post office open?"
"9am"

I thanked him and stepped out. I was supposed to go there today morning but couldn't. I am going there tomorrow. If you are interested in knowing what happens, check this blog in a day or two :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nail biter..
cliff hanger...
edge of the seat...
unbearable suspense.
cannot wait for the heart-stopping conclusion.