Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I had opted for Sanskrit as the 3rd language instead of Hindi in my 8th, 9th and 10th standards because it was known as a scoring subject. Weird reason for choosing a subject? Not for our kind of education system, I would say. Anyways, after SSC, Sanskrit for me became limited to the occassional hymns sung during prayers.

That's why sometimes I am amazed when I remember whole Shlokas learnt during all those long-forgotten years. Here is one of my favorites:

अतिपरिचायदवद्न्या संतत गमनादनादारो भवति
मलये भिल्लपुरन्ध्री चंदनतरुकाष्ठमिन्धनम कुरुते

Loosely translated in English, it goes like this:

Familiarity breeds contempt। If you frequently go to someone's place, there is possibility that you might be insulted one day। (Just as) On the Malay mountain (there are so many Sandalwood trees that) the tribal woman uses Sandalwood to stoke fire।

No comments: