Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Valkyries - Paulo Coelho

I have a question - do non-Christian people have Guardian angels as well? I know it is a question that is silly and logical at the same time. It is silly because God doesn't (or rather shouldn't) concern Himself with any particular religion as it was not created by Him. But it is logical because Hinduism doesn't have any concept of Angels so how do I reconcile these angles to my faith?

The reason I am saying this because this book deals a lot with Guardian angels. I must admit that in the beginning it felt good to read that there is someone watching over each one of us. I found myself nodding at the following:

When a sense of dissatisfaction persists, that means it was placed there by God for one reason only - you need to change everything and move forward


(Recently I read the following outside a church - we pray to God to change our situation but God puts us in the situation to change us)

Whenever I refused to follow my fate, something very hard to bear would happen in my life.


(Has happened with me)

Is it possible to deviate from the path God has made? Yes, but it's always a mistake.
Is it possible to avoid pain? Yes, but you will never learn anything.
Is it possible to know something without ever having experienced it? Yes, but it will never truly be part of you.


(For the record, I don't agree with the first one. If it is always a mistake to deviate from God's plan then we are all meant to be nothing but puppets and life has no meaning, no purpose whatsoever. I rather think that God would be more interested in seeing how we deal with different situations that He puts us in rather than checking if we are following his plan or not. But I am with the author as far as the rest goes.)

Then the Valkyries rode into the picture and I started losing the plot. By the time "The Ritual That Destroys All Rituals" happened I was wondering if there is any point in continuing to read this book. I didn't understand about the pact that he broke, the forgiveness that he accepted and the bet that he made.

The author does mention in the Epilogue section that the book is a bit on the heavier side but I still cannot be completely sure that my lack of understanding had nothing to do with my not being of Christian faith.

Sadly, this experience is going to keep me from picking up any more Coelho books for a long time to come :-

No comments: