Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Munnar - Shopping

I guess with so many tea plantations around, you can't help but buy some. We did as well but to be very frank I don't see much of a difference except that the brew turns out to be slightly bitter if the tea powder is used in same proportion as the local Taj Mahal brand. We are yet to try the cardamom flavored one but I don't have high hopes.

The other ubiquitous items have to be the Kerala Halwa, home-made chocolates and medicinal oils. The Halwa in the Kerala version of what we call, at least in Mumbai, Badami Halwa - only less chewy. It comes in several flavors such as mango, pineapple and dry fruit. I guess you can give it a try once. I am not a big fan of home-made chocolates either. We had bought some in Ooty years ago and upon cracking one open had come across a human hair inside. So this time I stayed away from it all. As far as medicinal oils go, the one that we bought in Ooty had turned out to be very effective. So this time around we bought oil for treating cramps and muscle pain.

You could buy Sandal soaps but they won't be much different than Mysore Sandal soap. We got 2 types of Agarbattis - the Jasmine one wasn't anything to write home about but the lavender one has a beautiful fragrance so I guess it all depends on luck. The shops sell various kinds of spices, even cute boxes containing assorted ones but I didn't buy any. If you are fond of pickles you can get a good variety here - even non-veg pickles. Since I wasn't sure if they would be allowed in carry-on luggage I didn't buy any.

The only item I will insist that you buy is the chips - banana and jackfruit ones. I am sure Mumbaikars would wonder what's special about them because you can get the same in many shops and roadside thelas in the city. But the chips sold in Munnar are tastier and crispier. Take my word for it. We are already regretting not buying more. I also regret not buying Sandal perfume despite seeing its vials in many shops.

But hey, I have already decided that I will go to Ambady again sometime next year - just for relaxing, with absolutely no sightseeing. I am sure I am going to end up buying lots of chips, a bit of Kerala Halwa and a vial or two of Sandal perfume :-)

No comments: