Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Spanish – Written Exam

The more I studied (and I really didn’t study that much!) the more I became ‘un poco nerviosa’. :) I knew that I am doomed by the ‘Audio’ part of the exam. Though I was able to make sense of the transcriptions of the ‘Audio’ samples meant for the DELE A1 exam preparation, they were like Greek and Latin to me (!) when I just heard them. :(

So I went into the classroom with more than a little bit of trepidation. During my student days, I could be seen going through the troublesome sections of the notes in the exam hall. But these days I prefer not to look at them. Still, the sight of so many people poring through their notes has an effect on you so I fished out my notebook and went through the irregular verbs section one more time.

The exam started a bit later than 9am. The first part was of course ‘Audio’. The teacher forgot to attach the speakers to the music system and as a result had to play the recordings thrice before she realized her mistake. Only the first section – that dealt with the numbers – was audible to me. The 2nd section talked about timings and I could get some parts. The last section was a total washout. It talked about people, their places and occupation. The teacher had told us to familiarize ourselves with the cities in Latin American countries but I had forgotten all about it till the time I was standing at the bus stop on the day of the exam! :) I wrote what I could and left the rest to God!

The written part of the exam was okay, I guess though prudence (and experience!) tells me to wait till the results are out. There was reading comprehension, grammar and a couple of images that we were asked to describe. Let’s see.

We have Orals on coming Sunday. Judging by the fact that the teacher has allocated one hour for a group of 8-9 students, each of us cannot be grilled for more than 10 minutes :) My judgement hour starts at 10am. Hope I don’t get all tongue-tied.

We were also told that the second part of the course is going to start in March – Saturday 7pm-9pm and Sunday 9am-11am. Total 40 hours i.e. 10 weeks = 2.5 months. Totally not possible for me and that’s a shame. The teacher said that there isn’t much grammar left to be taught but emphasis will be on vocabulary and practicing for the ‘audio’ part. After this, we should be able to face DELE A1 level. That means I need to figure out how I can prepare for the same on my own.

As I handed my paper to the teacher, I realized that I won’t be seeing majority of these faces again. That’s sad. Here’s wishing them luck – for the oral as well as for the rest of their lives. Buena Suerte :)

No comments: