Thursday, February 5, 2015

Daanav Hunters, Epic Channel, Wednesdays 9 p.m.

To be frank, the promos of this show had me convinced that it is meant for kids. But the promo for this week’s episode made the show sound like the Indian version of the Supernatural – with references to hunters and demons etc. No harm in checking out one episode – all that I would be missing out on would be a few anecdotes from the show - the Golden Era With Annu Kapoor (Masti Channel, 9 pm, everyday) that I otherwise watch, or rather listen to.

It was close to 9:10 when I managed to tune in to the show. So I couldn’t quite figure out what the Daayan (a form of a female demon) was doing to the kids. When I first saw the Daayan with the tacky makeup terrorizing the people in the residential complex I thought ‘whoa! This cannot be a demon, this is surely a human’. Then the chirpy college kid, Riya, made an appearance and I was sure she was essaying the role of Daayan at night to further her research on her college project. But in one of the following scenes the Daayan was looking out a window while Riya was busy talking to the ‘hunters’. What’s the deal? That got sorted when the hunters, seemingly casually, narrated a story of two daayans to Riya and she remarked that she cannot see the remaining kids of the society.

Horror movies and shows have become a dime a dozen these days. So it is hard to find a story that hasn’t been told before. What can set a story apart from its previous narrations is the execution of the plot and what twists or turns you can manage to put in to throw the jaded audience off track. Yesterday’s episode, in my humble opinion, managed to do a little bit of the latter but couldn’t quite achieve the former. The acting appeared amateurish and the dialogues definitely need more polishing. The whole episode had the look of the yesteryear’s telefilms that used to be screened on DD.

I guess I will watch another episode or two – just because I am a total fan of many other programs on this channel and so don’t want to give up too easily on it :-)

No comments: