Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Jimmy Boy, Fort


This place has been on my ‘Must Eat Here’ list for far too long. So last weekend we decided to just go despite not knowing where exactly it is located. We managed to reach Horniman Circle but were unsure of how to proceed from there when I noticed a gentleman who appeared to be a Parsi walking along the road. Hoping that he would know the eatery’s exact location we asked him for directions. Our hunch was proved right as he told us precisely where it was located – at the back of Bade Miya’s. :)

I did a double take when I walked in as my eyes rested upon a group of Parsi senior citizens polishing off what appeared to be Thali meals served in – Banana Leaves. Thali in a Parsi restaurant? That too served in banana leaves? This was unheard of, at least as far as I am concerned.

Though the thought of the Thali was uppermost in my mind while ordering food, I decided not to go for it without first sampling the a la carte. Jardaloo Salli Chicken was a must as we had eaten the same at Britannia. I couldn’t recall whether I had eaten Dhansak there. So we ordered Mutton Dhansak. Dhansak is served here with brown rice and 2 kebabs (depending on whether you have ordered mutton or chicken Dhansak).

Jardaloo Salli Chicken and Mutton Dhansak
Jardaloo Salli Chicken exceeded our expectations – definitely better than Britannia’s. I had suspected that my taste buds won’t take kindly to meat cooked Dal and I was right. To be sure, there seemed nothing wrong with Dhansak – perfectly cooked meat, rightly seasoned. But I somehow didn’t like the taste of Dal mingling with that of meat. This is one taste I am ever unlikely to acquire. :(

Apple Pie with vanilla ice-cream.
We decided to finish off the meal with Lagan Nu Custard and Apple Pie with vanilla ice-cream. The pie was a bit too cold and soft for my taste. The filling was too mashed. Definitely won’t go for it again. I had expected the custard to be the same as that sold at Kyani’s. But it was different and better in a way because it had less sugar, thus giving you the satisfaction of eating dessert without piling on calories.

Lagan Nu Custard
Overall, another trip in future is a given. There is lots that I want to sample from their menu.

P.S. In case you are wondering about the above painting, it depicts the story of the community’s landing at Sanjan. You can read it here.

No comments: