Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Exodus: Gods And Kings

It has been a few weeks since I saw this movie. I had planned on writing in detail about it but as usual I proposed and God disposed of it pretty efficiently. Nah! I am just laying the blame at the Pearly Gates. The truth is that I was plain lazy. There, a bit of a confession before old 2014 bids a goodbye. :-)

Okay, I saw the movie without much background information on the subject except for 2 things - Moses parted the red sea to take the Hebrews to safety and then transcribed the 10 Commandments on Mount Sinai. I certainly had no idea about the Egyptians in general and Ramesses in particular. So it was very interesting to see the story unfold. More so, because Egypt has always been a fascinating subject for me.

I had no idea about Moses' childhood and his young days. So it came as a surprise that he was  treated as a part of the royalty and that there was a prophecy regarding the leader. Ramesses somehow did not sound like a 100% villain but then this is not a typical Hindi movie where the hero is the epitome of all that is pure in this world while the villain is rotten to the core. Ramesses had shades of grey - he was anxious when told that Moses could be Hebrew but had cared enough for Moses to help him foil an assassination attempt by Queen Tuya - which is often what people are like in real world.

I understood God's punishment of 10 plagues to hit Egypt because the Egyptians won't free the Hebrews. But I don't understand a God which brings about the killing of children, who had  nothing to do with any of this, just to punish their parents. And I don't understand why Moses, instead of just asking Ramesses to keep a watch over his son, didn't ask all Egyptians to smear the blood of lambs on their doors - so every child could be protected - when he clearly disapproved of God's plan. 'Not a single Hebrew child died' sounded kind of hollow (and callous!). :-(

As far as the look of the movie goes, the sets and costumes were grand. If there were any  discrepancies or mistakes, they would not have been apparent to a layman like me. Everyone seemed to act their part well. But I think the 10 plagues were dealt with rather summarily. I had expected a grandiose parting of the red sea and was kind of disappointed with mere receding of the tides. The transcribing of the 10 Commandments were played down in my opinion. And I am not sure whether the child was God's representative or God himself.

The one scene that will remain forever etched in my mind is the tiny speck of a solitary white horse that is trying to flee to safety against a gigantic ocean wave.

No comments: