Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Dariba Diaries (Epic Channel, Mondays, 9pm)

I first came across the channel while surfing for something worthwhile to watch. I saw a couple of people in Mughal era costumes but didn't pay much attention to it and moved on. On another occassion, I saw a promo of some episode of Mahabharata. 'Can't these people find any other subjects than Mahabharata and Jodha-Akbar?' I thought and moved on again.

Then one day I saw a weird name - 'Dariba Diaries' - on the TV guide. 'Must be either about the diaries of a teenage girl named Dariba or some story in a mountain place called Dariba' I thought but instead of moving on I decided to investigate the matter this time. From the information on the net, it appeared that the show is about the crime solving capabilities of a guy called Mirza in Delhi when it was being ruled by the British. Aha! Surely, an episode would be worth watching.

So I did, yesterday night from 9pm-10pm. And it looks like I will be hooked on to it. The characters seem well defined. The period setting doesn't fatigue you though it has, no doubt, been the subject of many shows. And yesterday's story seemed to have a novel plot. Unfortunately, when you watch too many detective stories, you know the victim's cousin is the culprit the moment he makes an appearance on screen. :-)

But all in all, I won't mind reading a few pages of the Dariba Diaries - though I am yet to figure out who or what Dariba is!

1 comment:

MH said...

I loved this show. Sadly it got drowned in the endless hoarde of saas-bahu serials.