Friday, May 30, 2014

Elementary - Season 2

I have watched almost every episode of this show with increasing dread - that something is going to spark a romantic interest between Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Joan Watson, despite her involvement with his elder brother, Mycroft. I have embraced a lot of changes from the original plot. A Dr. Watson who is a 'she' and not a 'he' - and an oriental one at that - being a sober companion of Holmes. A younger version of the original landlady, Mrs. Hudson, with her life's troubled story. Inspector Lestrade, who, in Doyle's version, was tenacious if not brilliant but has been reduced to an incompetent fool of a man in this show. And finally, Irene Adler being the elusive Professor Moriarty. But I would have found it impossible to stomach any romantic liaison between Holmes and Watson.

So in a way, I was pleased when Joan (I cannot make myself refer to her as Dr. Watson when talking about Mycroft!) went back to Mycroft after the truth reason behind his getting back to the MI6 fold was revealed. I said 'in a way' because I find this version of Mycroft Holmes decidedly creepy - his hollow cheeks (with all due respect to his recuperation from cancer!), slow manner of speech, halting gait and above all, the furtive way in which he looks at people. Nope, I don't like this Mycroft Holmes and more so as Joan's paramour. No surprise therefore that the Season Finale has left me relieved and worried at the same time. Relieved because he is out of her life and worried because I don't want Sherlock to take his place.

It would be interesting to see what cases MI6 has in store for Holmes though I am fairly sure that we will get to see plenty of the proverbial 'British stiff upper lip'! I am not sure if Sherlock can continue consulting with NYPD at the same time. If not, I am going to miss Captain Gregson and Detective Bell.

Looking forward to Season 3 - with a bit of an apprehension and all fingers crossed :-)

No comments: