Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Books Ahoy!

I felt like a kid in a toy store. I must admit though that I had thought about giving Ashish Book Center’s book exhibition in Sunderbai Hall a miss – especially after a disappointing trip to Strand’s book exhibition earlier this year. But good sense prevailed. Ashish Book Center’s book exhibitions have been instrumental in building most of my home library. And I attend all of their exhibitions in the city every year to add on to it.

So back to the kid in the toy store! I picked up the basket at the entrance and walked to the shelves where the classic series books were laid out in their reddish hard covers. I have bought all the books that I want to from this series but that doesn’t stop me from gazing at them longingly. Every time I do so, I think of a cozy room, a comfortable recliner, a cup of steaming hot cardamom tea and a quiet evening. Memories of some past life? Maybe. But I like to think that they are also glimpses of a life after retirement J

The next isle had lots of books – Rs 50 each. I don’t particularly like this section because the books aren’t arranged author-wise. So you have to be particularly lucky or exceptionally patient to find a good bargain. I think I am neither. I wasn’t familiar with most of the authors whose novels were on display but based on the summary at the back of the book, I managed to find four good titles. I also found one of Clive Cussler’s novels – for just Rs 100 and hunted for more of his books nearby. No luck. So I moved on.

Luck favored me in the next isle when I chanced upon the whole treasure trove of Cussler’s novels. I bought about 10 of them. J I picked up a few novels of Robert Ludlum and John Grisham as well.

I had gone with the budget of Rs 1000. But when I totaled my loot, it came to Rs 1450. Almost 50% more than what I had budgeted for. I looked longingly at the rest of the isles. Most of the remaining exhibition was about cooking books, arts and crafts etc. But I would have found a good bargain or two.

But a budget is a budget is a budget, right? So I walked to the checkout counter. There’s always going to be a next time J

No comments: