Friday, August 10, 2012

After eating Khao Soi at Noodle Bar and Asia 7 in High Street Phoenix, I searched on the net for its recipe. Looked like Thai Red Curry Paste and coconut milk are the main ingredients. I was under the impression that I will get Thai Red Curry Paste easily at the local supermarkets. After all, they do store stuff like Oyster Sauce and Fish Sauce which were once considered to be exotic. But I was wrong. Both the neighborhood supermarkets didn't stock it. Oh well, maybe I can make it fresh - the budding chef within me said. So I checked the recipe for it. Galangal - I can substitute ginger for it, shallots - easy to get and shrimp paste - oh no! So I was back to square one - searching for Thai Red Curry Paste that is. A trip to High Street Phoenix wasn't on the cards in near future. I was crestfallen.

And then I thought of Godrej Nature's Basket outlet at Worli.I checked out every inch of the shelves laden with a variety of spices, pastes and sauces. No Thai Red Curry Paste! I was about to give up when i decided to check just one more time before heading out. There it was! I almost wept with joy :-)

I am going to use it this weekend to try out the recipe. I hope it turns out to be worth the effort!

No comments: