Sunday, February 12, 2012

No non-sense advice for Successful Projects by Neal Whitten

'Read this one. I bet you will wonder why you didn't do so before' said my friend as he handed over his copy of Neal Whitten's "No non-sense advice for Successful Projects" to me. Thanks so much Prashant for that!

I confess that though reading is one of my passions, I seldom read anything related to what I do for living - managing software projects. So this was the first time I was reading any such book. And frankly, when I started I didn't think that I will read it through. But I did. The material is presented in easy-to-digest chapters of manageable length. The language is far from the 'ignore this advice at your own peril' tone adopted in many books. It's as if the author is talking to you from across the table over a cup of coffee. He is eager to share the knowledge and experience he has amassed through years of work. There are nuggets of key points clearly highlighted throughout the book. And the material makes loads of good sense. I had many 'why didn't I think of this before' moments as I devoured the book hungrily.

So in my humble opinion, this book is for keeps for anyone who wants to do anything and everything (legal and ethical, of course!) for successful execution of their projects.

1 comment:

Neal Whitten said...

Swapnagandha: Thank you for the glowing endorsement. You interpreted the book as I hoped a reader would in terms of short chapters, no-nonsense advice, casual conversation, easy to read and come back to later for reference, and I end each chapter with the most common questions (with answers) that I am asked about that chapter’s topic. Although I am humbled by your comments, I mostly wanted to applaud you for caring enough about the PM Community to share your ideas with others. We all thank you! Warm regards, Neal