Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's always a pleasure to visit my Alma Mater - VJTI. Not that I need any reason for it but the "Annual Flower, Fruit and Vegetable Show" was as good a reason as any. The campus was a riot of colors as different varieties of flowers overflowed through the earthen pots everywhere. I hadn't thought of taking my digicam with me but my mobile camera rose admirably to the occasion as I went totally berserk snapping away at roses, sun-flowers and orchids. The quadrangle in front of the computer center had the usual section of bonsais. This section always fills me with mixed feelings. On one hand, I am amazed at the little chickoos and oranges hanging from the bonsais but then I also feel sad because these trees were not allowed to grow to their full height. There were fewer floral landscaping arrangements - only three if I am not mistaken - than I remember from my last visit but the soothing sound of a waterfall cascading in one of them added a mellow touch to the noon sunshine as it spread throughout the quadrangle.

I wish the organizers set aside special timings for the judges who were evaluating the flowers, fruits and vegetables on display. It was annoying to be informed that you cannot visit a particular display area because the judges were there.

People were busy buying when I stepped into the ground in front of the hostel. During one of my earlier visits, I had bought a small collection that had different varieties of cactus in the same pot. I had made the mistake of watering it too often and it didn't survive for long. This time I was on the lookout for something similar. I didn't see any shop selling cactus even after going around almost half the area. Just as I had lost all hope, I came across one shop that was selling only cactus. I didn't exactly find what I was looking for, but I fell in love with a little ----- and brought it home. It's sitting on the window ledge in the balcony as I write this.

I am determined to see it flourish this time around :-)

No comments: