Saturday, December 3, 2011

Why This Kolaveri Di!

Chances are that you have already heard about this song that has become a rage, or so they say, on the internet and across the country. One of my friends sent me a YouTube link. Before watching it, I mentioned the song to my Tamil friend for her opinion. Deepa fairly bit my ear off - 'Oh, I don't like it' she almost shouted into her cell-phone. I was taken aback but asked her why. She said something about the heavy accent and lyrics. Hmm, why don't I listen to the original song and then, maybe, she can sing her own version for me so that I can compare the accents - I suggested despite a huge risk both to my hearing ability and sanity. Mercifully, Deepa almost never takes me seriously. She disconnected the phone. I prayed that her husband was a safe distance away. :-)

Must say this made me more curious about the song so I finally listened to it using the link emailed by my friend. I just plain don't get the lyrics despite the glossary (Tamil-to-English) provided by my friend. e.g. the lines

You showed me bouv-u
Cow-u cow-u holi cow-u

The translation said that:

Showed me Bouv-u: Rejected me (When you go near a dog, it barks ‘Bow’ which means, go away don’t come near me. Similarly when you go after a girl and she shoos you away, it is called showing ‘Bow-u’. In a funny way.)

Wow! If I hadn't read the translation I would have associated that 'bouv' with 'Bovine' and scratched my head till eternity looking for the meaning.

The following was a revelation too:

Da or Mama: Tamil variant of “Dude” or “Bro”.
Di: Tamil variant of “Girl” or “Babe”.

Wonder what 'PronobDa' and 'MamataDi' have to say about this ;-)

But I liked the music - it's an unusual tune for sure. Hey, and who is the Sarika-lookalike? Must be her daughter Shruti Hassan. :-)

In case you haven't listened to this song, here is the link.

No comments: