Saturday, December 3, 2011

26 November 2008

It would have been any normal day in the calendar except for the terrorist attacks that cost a lot of innocent people their lives. I dreaded reading the newspaper on 26th November, 2011. I didn't read the account of the happenings from those who survived. I didn't read about Ajmal Kasab who has been having a merry time at the taxpayers' expense. I didn't read about how the government hasn't learnt any lessons from this tragedy. I just turned the pages and closed the newspaper. I didn't tune in to any news channels that day and I didn't surf the web. I wasn't blocking out the memories.

Was I being callous ? Not really! I just didn't want to feel unsafe again in my own city. Sounds rather like an ostrich, don't I? But then I don't have any control over how to protect myself and my loved ones from such mindless blind acts of hatred. What use is it reminding oneself of it again? I would rather offer my own private prayers for those whose lives were cut short that day and then get on with my life.

But that doesn't stop me from getting angry - when are we Indians going to stop being so careless about our own safety in our own country?

No comments: