Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I am rather confused about this recent spate of people going on fast. First it was Anna Hazare. There were some who said that he is a selfless person while some others said that he also has some corruption charges pending against him. So there you go, who should one believe?

Then came Baba Ramdev. From what I read, he had made 5-star arrangements at the venue where he was supposed to fast. Add to that the crores of rupees of his net worth. To be fair to him, I have always been hugely skeptical about these babas, sadhus and maharajs in saffron robes. I neither condone assault on women and children nor am I a fan of the ruling party. But still I think that the government did right by breaking up his little party. If he so badly wanted to demonstrate against corruption, why in the hell didn't he let himself get arrested and then fasted in the prison? Now he is saying, oh so magnanimously, that he forgives the government. What a farce!

Now it seems to be Hazare's turn again! I wouldn't be surprised if this weapon - which Gandhiji so effectively used against the British - loses its potency in the near future. After all, common people like you and me do have a life to live and our own problems to solve. Who has got time to keep track of who is fasting today?

But above all this, there is one question nagging me. Will all this help to root out the corruption that is happening at the level of common man? If not, what is the use of it all?

No comments: