Thursday, March 31, 2011

Today morning I received an SMS from a dear friend. It contained headlines from some Marathi newspapers that referred to the Pakistani team as "पाकडे"। I could have, and under normal circumstances would have, deleted the SMS. But I wanted to convey my point of view to my friend. I SMSed back saying that I have always objected to this term and I don't need to take this extreme stance to prove that I am a Maharashtrian and a Hindu.

Pat came the reply, sighting "the spilled blood of the innocents". I tried to reason saying that there must be people in Pakistan who are least bothered about what God their neighbor is praying to. They too, like most of the common Indians, must be only concerned about their lives and families. The only misfortune of both countries is that such people on both sides are not speaking up. The day they do, there will no terrorism left. I got back references from lives of Shivaji Maharaj and the Bhagwad Geeta. I conveyed my understanding of the same. But in the end, I knew that neither of us can convince each other.

Then I got thinking. I would have felt bad, and definitely would have been angry, if we had lost yesterday's match. Yet, I also believe that the only way to mend fences is to bring moderate people on both sides together. Such people need to speak up. Or the communal voices will make sure that more innocent lives are lost - both Hindu and Muslim.

Am I suffering from a dual personality? I don't know. It has been a strange relationship with Pakistan. But then my generation didn't suffer through partition. Perhaps, it would have been different if it had.

Will my generation ever be able to resolve this dilemma or will the next generation inherit it from us?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that this type of language should not be used whether for pakistan or any other country. I agree that I've not gone through the things the people suffered during partisan but is it necessary to have cancer to treat it? We may resolve the problem in one day if we want but we feel ourself satisfied with the thinking that Pakistan is our bad neighbor and the main reason for partisan were the muslims, this helps to get away from doing anything else. Pakistan is our neighbor and there is no difference between the people of two countries. And you will be angry no matter which team defeated us but we feel special rage in case of Pakistan because we had grown up listening 'Pakistan is our enemy' stuff. We have to move forward. Sixty four years have passed after independence and partisan and we are still behind the other countries in many things we should concentrate on overall development than cursing our neighbor. And love is only thing which helps to win every war, am I right?

Gauri said...

Hi , I totally subscribe to your views about respecting the ordinary citizens of that country. Living in Dubai, I have had the opportunity to interact with people like you and me from that country and thats when you realise you are perhaps very lucky to be born on this side of the border. The kind of misery the common man in that country lives is unfathomable by us, the children of democracy. I do not hate the average pakistani citizen and refuse to consider them all as birds of the same feather
however having said that I would surely like to add this - I am very happy that pakistan team lost the match. I cannot explain the feeling but I could not imagine their team lifting the world cup at a stadium which is walking distance from the two places where other citizens from their country razed a havoc two years ago. I would not have liked them to come to my city. a city which always pays the price of fanatism of a few citizens of that country and greed of a few citizens of ours.

Swapnagandha Hawaldar said...

Yes, you are right Abhinav. But sadly it is easier said that done :-(

Swapnagandha Hawaldar said...

Like I said Gauri, we cannot seem to be making up our minds about this country called Pakistan and people from there. We see the forest and lose track of the trees. :-(