Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Terrified" is the word I can choose to describe my state of mind when there is any cricket match between India and Pakistan. As it is, I can never watch any match where India is playing. But the tension increases hundred-fold when we are playing against Pakistan. I just cannot take the tension.

So I was very happy yesterday to sit inside my cabin working while most of the office emptied out save for a couple of girls working outside my cabin. I thought - these ladies will be least interested in the match so I can work peacefully. Looks like I was gender-biased - BIG TIME! Soon the sound of cricket commentary leaked through the cabin walls. Then, the news of Sehwag getting out. Oh Boy! How I wished God had given us the facility to shut off ears.

By the time I went home, India's innings was over. I braced myself for the ordeal ahead. A couple of earplugs insured that I couldn't catch the commentary from our own living room. But the crowd gathered outside in the streets was making a ruckus. Soon, I understood their ways of celebration - claps and shouts meant that our fielders did well, lot of shouts accompanied with the beat of the "dholak" meant Pakistan lost a wicket. I tried in vain to concentrate on the novel at hand.

I stepped into the living room only when Pakistan needed 30 odd runs in 3 wickets. It was fun to watch the crowds dancing in the streets after we won. Hats off to both the teams for playing under such tense situation and also to the people for watching such a nerve-wracking match!

No comments: