Thursday, April 7, 2011

We won it! We won it!

Thank God I didn't watch the World Cup final between India and Sri Lanka. I am sure I would have died from a severe heart attack when Sehwag went out for a duck and Tendulkar walked back at 18. The highlights of the match later showed that many present at Wankhede that day went through the same emotions. I will never forget the look of disbelief on the face of a woman who gaped open-mouthed when India lost their 2nd wicket. :-(

Of course, the crowd gathered outside our society to watch the match on a makeshift screen didn't allow me to read the book in peace. When India was bowling they would scream at every run saved. If they played dholak, it meant that Lanka lost another wicket. Whereas when India came out to bat, every run scored would make the crowd erupt into loud cheers of "भारतमाताकी जय". During particularly tricky moments, Lord Ganesha would be called upon with "गणपति बाप्पा मोरया".

I got an SMS when we needed 30 runs in 30 balls. But I didn't have nerves strong enough to stand even that much of tension. So I stayed put. Another message at 15 balls, 7 runs. I was not sure of how many wickets were in hand. I tuned in hesitatingly. Oh, only 4 wickets down! It would be impossible to lose now even if I am watching, I told myself.

I cannot describe in words what I felt when Dhoni hit that sixer. I don't remember much about the win of 1983. But I have seen the replays of the same during every world cup since then and always wondered if I would see another win in my lifetime. Miracles do happen, don't they? :-)

And then the team carried Tendulkar on their shoulders as they circled the ground. I tell you, I really envied the chap then. They don't just respect him, they love him. And to get such love from people some of whom were born when he started playing - Man, he must be one lucky guy! I would really like to know how he did it. Because respect and love are earned and not demanded. And he has earned them both.

No comments: