Thursday, February 17, 2011

If you type the words "Sudan Separation" you will find that about 99% of Sudan's population voted for the separation in January of this year. Yet, I came to know about it 2 days back. Oh, I am not saying I should have been informed about the same by the Sudan government. I am wondering whether the newspapers I read didn't carry the news in eye-catching fonts or I was just too blind to see it.

Be that as it may. I am not fully conversant with the political or social reasons behind this separation but I suspect that the multi-ethnicity of the country has something to do with it. The partition of any country in itself is a sad affair but when one of its reasons is the conflict between different ethnic groups, it is even more lamentable. Makes one wonder whether enough attempts were made to bridge the gaps.

And every time a country erupts in violence or breaks apart somewhere in this world because of its ethnic conflict, I worry over the future of my own country. Sadly, the only 2 events that have the power to bring the Indian populace together are cricket and war - and not necessarily in that order. :-(

No comments: