Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Monday morning. I am just settling down at work when the phone rings. I don't recognize the number but decide to pick it up anyway - only to regret my decision a moment later. Clearly it is someone from a call center.

Now, my interaction with such people has turned out to be a constant source of amusement for my family. "Why can't you be rude to them?" is their usual question. "They are just doing their job" is my usual answer.

The moment I realized the call was from someone trying to sell me some scheme or other, I played my usual "I don't need any financial products, insurance products, credit cards or personal loans" tune. The guy waited patiently for me to finish and then told me that my number had been chosen for some credit card scheme from their bank. I said I am still not interested. Then he told me it is free. Another "No" from my side.

This, for some reason, rattled him. He said "But madam, it is free" - as if this was reason enough for me to grab this offer pronto. I was close to my boiling point by then. "So What?" I asked and followed it up with "I still don't want it". I then simply ended the call. I was sorry later to be rude but hey, if that's the only language they understand, then so be it!

No comments: