Thursday, September 9, 2010

Belated Happy Birthday Ashaji!

When almost all the FM channels were playing Asha Bhosale's songs yesterday evening, I could guess that it must be her birthday. But when one of the RJs said that she has become 77, I just couldn't believe it. Asha Bhosale? 77? Imagine that!

I have always loved her songs. But I have also liked her as a human being. It is not easy to carve a niche for yourself when your elder sibling is the name to reckon with in the same field. But Ashatai managed it and that too with finesse. She has gone through perhaps more than her fair share of grief in her personal life but that didn't dampen her spirit. She remained bubbly, as usual. And that's the thing about her that has always appealed to me.

I am not crazy about celebrities as such. After all, they are just human beings like the rest of us. Many of them don't even know how to behave themselves in public. So I am sure that if I come across any one of them I will not run around for an autograph. There is, however, one exception to this rule of mine and that will always be Ashaji. I fervently hope that I get to meet her one day. :-)

No comments: