Monday, February 8, 2010

The story of my experiments with Sushi

It seems like “Acquired Taste” is something which I will never ever acquire in this life. Over the weekend, I had been to one of these places that serve up a buffet of oriental dishes – Thai, Japanese and Chinese. Along with the usual spring rolls, sweet corn soup and noodles there was a Sushi corner. It looked pretty but my stomach turned at the thought of most of it being raw. I tentatively picked what looked like 2 rice dumplings. There was a plate containing Salmon slivers nearby. I toyed with the idea of helping myself to one but remembered in time that it would be raw. Content with the baby steps that I was taking to taste this much-raved-about cuisine I returned to my table with a tiny bowl of soya sauce that accompanied the Sushi.

I was told that I have to dip the whole thing in the soya or I wouldn’t enjoy the full flavor. I did that but found to my dismay that no matter how wide I opened my mouth, I was simply unable to swallow the whole rice dumpling. I took a tentative bite and the sharp taste of the sauce fairly made me choke - I had no idea it was dark soya. I took another bite telling myself not to be silly – but with the same result. Of course, you cannot waste food and so I swallowed the remaining with giant sips of the Sweet Lime Soda that I had had some foresight to order.

Thus ended my first, and definitely only, tryst with Sushi. :-(

No comments: