Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Witch Of Portobello - by Paulo Coelho

While I was reading this one, I had posted my thoughts on this blog. They remain the same even at the conclusion of the book. I am not sure what the author was trying to get at. Personally I felt that Athena was confused as to what she wanted in life and could not strike a balance between the material and spiritual side of it. Of course, most of us cannot. But at least we are sane enough to let go of one side – never mind that it more often than not turns out to be the spiritual one. At least we don’t start gathering up followers and then abandon them in the midstream saying that someone better capable will look after them.

The comment that I found to be most puzzling was when Athena says that she is capable of loving someone who she doesn’t like. Huh?

The only saving grace, as far as I am concerned, is the Twist in the Tale. As the Americans say “Won’t Say No More”. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Paulo Coelho's
"By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept"? It's a great read.

Swapnagandha Hawaldar said...

I haven't had a chance yet. Thanks for the tip though!