Monday, December 29, 2008

These ads don't add up (Part 2)

I have always laughed at the old man in the MDH ads. I mean, he seems like the odd man out in the ad world full of reed-thin beauties, muscled hunks, Bollywood badshahs and Men in the blue. But this time the ad is so over the top – what with its ‘Royal’ look – that I wondered whether to laugh or tear my hair out in frustration.

Guys, is it so difficult to find a suitable plot to promote your spices? Why not cast dear old grandpa as the alltime favorite Chacha Chowdhury (he certainly looks the part!) who has a few tricks up his sleeve when it comes to cooking and doesn’t mind sharing them with hapless cooks who don’t know how to turn out a tasty meal?
-----

Now about the HDFC Life Insurance ad! I marvel at the audacity (or tactlessness) of the guest who asks the kid what will he do if his dad is lost. I can sympathize with the kid’s mom who, in keeping with the Atithi Devo Bhav (Guest is God) Indian culture, can’t do much except for shooting a mildly baleful glance at the guest. My own reaction, in a similar situation, I think, would have been a more acidic one :-)

I am not able to exactly put my finger to it but this ad seemed like an odd way of promoting life insurance.

No comments: