Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Bethlehem! The place where Christ was born! I am a Hindu but have wondered, for reasons unknown, whether I will be able to one day visit Bethlehem and Jeruslem. That’s why when I saw the title “Bethlehem under fire” I decided to watch the program on the National Geographic.

It was about a church in Bethlehem - I neither remember its name nor did I catch the year it happened - which was under siege by a group of Palestinians. And the Israeli forces had the church surrounded. You cannot have a more perfect example of the conflict that the three faiths – Judaism, Christanity and Islam – are having over this land!

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the walls erected around Bethlehem to prevent suicide terrorists from entering. I felt sad for people who lost their business because of the dwindling tourist traffic. And I shook my head when I heard that people need permit to travel from Bethlehem to Jeruslem. :-(

The church siege ended peacefully though there were a few casualties. The Palestinians walked out of the church and were deported to Gaza. One of the Christian priests who was inside the church said that at one point the Pope called him to assure that he was praying for them and when the Palestinians heard that they were relieved. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at this irony.

I tuned in to one of the news channels after this program ended – and saw the Breaking News “Israel has attacked Hamas in Gaza. Hamas vows revenge by suicide bombers”!
The Pope might have asked people to build bridges and not walls – but sadly humanity seems to be intent on burning all the bridges as it hurtles at breakneck speed towards the end. :-(

At this speed I wonder if there will be any wise men left to see the bright star, even if it shines in the skies :-(

No comments: