Friday, January 13, 2017

'That woman is crying' said my brother suddenly, slightly alarmed.

'What? Who?' I blurted out. The two of us were going somewhere and as usual I was talking non-stop (he, being the younger one, has no option but to listen!). But what he said made me look up sharply.

'There.....in that car' he said.

Despite myself, I turned to look at the vehicle in the long line of cars waiting for the signal to go green. But all I could see was a woman at the wheels and a kid, probably 6-7 years old next to her. I was pretty far away from the car but realized that it was wrong to stare like this.

We walked on in silence but I kept thinking about the kid instead of his mom. Curious? Well, not really. I was wondering about what the kid must be thinking. I don't think it is fun to see your parent in tears. In India, most of us are more attached to our moms. Hell, most of us think of her as a superwoman. My mind went back to the past. I was in my teens and we had received news that my grandpa, mom's dad, was no more. My grandparents used to live in Belgaum, a city in Karnataka. Back then, air travel wasn't as easy as it is today. Husband of one of my mom's sisters was with Air India and he tried his best to get the tickets but couldn't. It would have been impossible to get the train tickets as well. So finally my parents, aunt and her husband left by a private car late at night. But before all that could be arranged, there was a moment when I saw my mom crying bitterly - she was very fond of grandpa. And though I was no child, her anguish had come as a terrible shock.

As I thought about all this, my heart went out to that little kid in the car. :-(

It's such a sad world. We can find neither the time nor the privacy to cry to our heart's content. Sometimes, hell most of the times these days, I wonder if this is how God meant for us to live :-(

No comments: