Friday, January 13, 2017

Patanjali Yoga Course - Day 4

Yesterday was Swami Vivekananda jayanti and our instructor told us that on this occasion Patanjali has arranged programs for mass Suryanamaskar and Sheershasan all over India. So we were taught Yogic Jogging - a 12-step exercise. I won't - and can't - detail all the steps here. Personally, I feel that it is not something that you can teach in a day, at least not in the introductory class. And I don't think I will be able to include it in my Yoga regimen. So won't go into more details. The instructor also showed us steps of Suryanamaskar. From the likes of it, I don't think I want to do it and risk injuring my back.

Then we had a great discussion about lifestyle diseases - especially the ones brought about by computers and assorted electronic gadgets that have become part and parcel of our daily lives. The instructor showed (and made us do) a lot of useful exercises for back and other limbs. I asked him if information about these is included in the material that he will be emailing us later. Unfortunately, he said it won't be. So I am going to try and persuade him to show them to me again on the last day and see if I can record them so I will never have to worry about missing any or doing them in a wrong manner.

Getting up before the sunrise isn't getting any easier even after 3 days. But once I am out the door, it really is very peaceful. The streets are not crowded. You only see people going for work or out for getting exercise. There are not many vehicles in sight. So no honking, no fumes plus you don't have to look in all directions before deciding to cross the road. And there is somehow something magical about being out at this hour - I cannot really put it in words. You find yourself completely at your own disposal. It feels like you have all the time in the world and that you are capable of achieving anything if you can just put your mind to it. You also get this feeling that everything is alright with the world.

If only I could make myself get up this early every day and convince myself that the streets are safe for women at this hour, I would love to go for morning walks daily before the sun is up. :-)

No comments: