Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Mumbai University Exhibition of Rocks, Minerals and Archaeological Antiquities

On Saturday I visited Mumbai University Exhibition at their Vidyanagari campus. This is apparently an annual event but I had never been there before. Needless to say, it was a worthwhile investment of time. The exhibition was a virtual treasure trove of coins, minerals, rocks, fossils (collected from Manjara and Narmada valley), stone tools, ancient pottery piece, Warli paintings, idols, ancient stone writings and more. I especially loved the fossil, coin and pottery collection.

Of course, the trip would have been a huge waste without shopping. :-) So I bought two clay replicas of the kind of stone tablets that were used in Mohenjodaro as means of exchange (at Rs. 50 each). Then 2 sets of ear-rings made of minerals (at Rs.100 each) and a 1-paisa coin from the 60s India (at Rs. 10). I had to drag myself away from the counter that was selling mineral boxes (at Rs. 500 each) with a Herculean effort.

Here are some photos:



Polished Agate




Painting made using minerals




















Replica of a fort




No comments: