Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Products I Liked - Gourmet's Delite Ready Dry Dosa

A few days back I happened to read an article by celebrity dietician Rujuta Diwekar. One of her advices was not to eat cereals in the morning. I don't exactly remember what her nutritional reasons were but one sentence stuck with me - they are boring and we don't need to start our mornings with something boring. Oh, I am so glad someone has said it finally. Plain oats, muesli or plain corn/wheat flakes are indeed so boring that I am always in danger of being put back to sleep while consuming them. The more interesting variety of honey coated or strawberry/mango flavored cereals sort of defeat their very purpose, don't you think? But I was munching along muesli every morning, in the name of Good Health. Of course, Rujuta has also said that we should rather eat more Indian dishes like e.g. Pohe, Upma, Idli and dosa for breakfast. Now even though the grocery store shelves are full of readymade dosa batter, readymade sambhar and coconut chutney, I think it would still be a rather time-consuming affair during the morning rush of the weekdays.

I had made up my mind to dedicate one day to paratha, one day to pohe, one to plain old muesli and two days to khakra + dip when I chanced upon Gourmet's Delite Ready Dry Dosa stacked along with other ready made food. It comes in 6 flavors - sada, masala, pani puri, pizza, Manchurian and cheese. I haven't been able to find the cheese-flavored one so far and do not dare try the pani puri flavor. Out of the other 4 that I have tried, I liked Sada dosa best, followed by the masala variety. Pizza and Manchurian are a bit too salty for my taste.

Pros:

Definitely a better alternative to khakras. They are crisper and despite being dry don't leave a dry taste in your mouth. Taste is great - of course, it contains besan (gram flour) and butter, in addition to rawa. And at a price of Rs 149 (Rs 24 off since I have been buying them so really Rs 125) for 20 pieces (as mentioned on the pack, I have never bothered counting them), it is not too hard on the pocket. You can pair them up with a yogurt based dip for a great breakfast or a quick mid-afternoon snack.

Cons:

These are dry dosas (with the texture of khakras) meant to be eaten as a snack - definitely not as lunch or dinner. They are vacuum sealed to preserve their crispiness and that means you are bound to come across a portion of it crumbled inside the pack. To be fair, the grocery store people stack more than what a shelf can hold with the result that the 1-2 packets land on the floor with a thud either when someone passes by the shelf or reaches out for one packet. And the packet is inconvenient to store the uneaten dosas so you have to put them away in a separate container. Lastly, and obviously, this may not be as nutritious as a dosa rustled up from the scratch.

I mentioned a yogurt based dip as an accompaniment. Here is my recipe for the same - Take 3-4 spoonfuls of curd. Add 1 spoonful of mayonnaise (or less!) to it along with a dash of mustard (more if you stomach it!) and a spoonful of natural honey. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly. Grate a portion of pealed cucumber and add to the mix. You can throw in chill flakes, oregano or dry pudina leaves if you like. To be frank, the dosa may not be a treasure trove of nutrients so the dip has to more than make up for it. Serve chilled along with the dry dosa.

P.S. Neither I nor anyone from my family is related to this company. Food is something close to my heart. I am always in search of easy-to-cook tasty nutritional meals and these posts are an effort to share what I have discovered.

No comments: