Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Bombay Canteen, Kamala Mills, Lower Parel

High Street Phoenix is a regular haunt for me. But there is hardly any place there - Only Smoke House Daily, perhaps - where I haven't eaten. So this time around the destination was Kamala Mills. I had been there before for passport renewal but didn't know about the Bombay Canteen then.

The place looked spacious, to my great relief. When we were handed the menu, at first glance it seemed as if there was hardly anything worth going for. Almost all of the dishes looked like they could be found on the menus of many other restaurants. But when I went through it with a fine-toothed comb, I realized that there was a fair sprinkling of dishes I had never come across before. For example, I was sorely tempted to try Sabudana and Laal Maath Tikki. :-)

Eventually we decided to go for Kheema Aaloo - but the Main Course version of it, instead of the tiffin one - and Mustard Chicken Curry. And almost as an afterthought, added the Kejriwal Toast to it. Nope, this dish hasn't got anything to do with the AAP guy. If Internet is to be believed, this Kejriwal frequented the Willingdon Club and ordered this dish - consisting of fried egg and cheese on toast with a liberal sprinkling of green chillies - because eggs were forbidden in his purely vegetarian household.

Kejriwal Toast

I am not much fond of Mutton, or Kheema (minced meat) for that matter. But must say that the Kheema Aaloo was really good - not oily, not hard, not too mushy. I was a bit apprehensive about the Mustard Chicken as I dislike the sharp taste of mustard. I need not have worried. The gravy was flavorful but in short supply, in my humble opinion. If you order it, make sure you eat it with Malabar Parathas. Piece of heaven on earth for sure! And as far as the Kejriwal toast goes, I am glad his family was vegetarian. To be sure, the Bombay Canteen version of this dish is served with green chutney on top instead of green chillies but I loved it.

Mustard Chicken Curry with Malabar Paratha

Another visit is definitely in the offing, though may not be in near future. Got to try that Sabudana and Laal Maath Tikki, Chicken Ishtew Pattice, Tawa Chicken Kasundi..........

No comments: